Horror Express, The Best in Horror Movie Reviews & News Contact Us News Our Forum Horror Movie Reviews Contact Us Horror Express Home Register  

Go Back   Horror Express Forum > Talk Horror > Horror Movies > Asian

Notices

Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

Default Dominator X

Seeing as how this film is only around the corner now, I thought I make a thread about it.

Dominator X is the new animated production from Renga Media; it is an entirely new revamp of the original movie, starting off with an immensely bigger budget in comparison as well as a much more interesting and, overall, better visual style. From what I've heard, this production is inspired by The Guyver and, something which should be familiar around here, Devilman so I'm expecting very good things.

As of yet, I have nothing on the film's plot except that the prologue sequence takes place in old Japan in which a samurai-esque demon warrior (Dominator) does battle with a monster for destroying a village and the actual film is going to take place in Edinburgh.

That out the way, I think I'll post a bit on the history of Dominator (using what's already available on my site's Introduction page of course)...

Metal Hammer magazine has been a successful long-running magazine on the subject of good, loud music. Dominator all began in 1988 in an issue of Metal Hammer, as a black-and-white comic strip detailing the misadventures of a masked rock demon who had escaped from Hell. With art by Tony Luke, the first ever incarnation of Dominator featured him battling otherworldly foes such as the Darkadians, “guests” included Ozzy Osborne, Anthrax and Zodiac Mindwarp.

After the Metal Hammer series ended, Dominator went on a bit of a hiatus and seemed like a character who would not return, not to the UK at least. In 1993 Dominator returned mightily as the starring character of the first-ever Brit-created manga with Tony Luke on art duties as usual and Alan Grant on stories. Published in Kodansha Comic Afternoon, this reincarnation of Dominator introduced many new characters as well as a new plot; Dominator and three demonic warriors – Extricator, Decimator and Lady Violator – had been released from a realm in Hell called Darkadia and were left to wreak havoc on Earth (as well as save it in some cases) as they did battle with an assortment of ghouls and titans. It was printed alongside with other manga including “Oh! My Goddess”, “Gunsmith Cats”, “Gonta” and many more, it was overseen by Hiro Morita; the editor of the internationally-famous Akira. The starring characters of the new Dominator later went on to feature in a special crossover with the characters of “Get a Grip! Tsuyoshi” in the strip “Tsuyoshi Tai Dominator”; a bizarre crossover but also one of the most successful.

During 2000, another reincarnation of Dominator was taking place. Using new character designs (and amongst new characters) such as Yasushi Nirasawa’s most notable Lady Violator re-design, an early prototype video was made by Tony Luke showing off the new character designs and what-not. From here on, Dominator was intended to be a series of episodes that were available to download from the Renga Media website, but work was postponed when Tony was diagnosed with a form of lung cancer, he luckily survived. After this the UK Sci-Fi Channel, pleased with the success of Archangel Thunderbird a few years ago, asked Tony Luke if he was interested in turning this new Dominator into a movie, which happened of course. Like with the original concept for the downloadable series, the Renga team made the movie on several Apple Macs with a variety of graphic and animation programs. The film went on to be awarded at the Festival of Fantastic Films and was screened in Brighton and in Cannes before receiving cult status. After this, Renga Media went on to do more work and eventually released the 6-minute special, A Brief History Of Hell, for download on their website in 2004 which was followed in 2005 by the 12-minute Heavy Metal VS Dominator which starred Dominator and Tara and some of the characters from Heavy Metal FAKK2 movie such as Tyler and Julie.

The film will be directed by Tony Luke, scripted by Alan Grant and produced by Simon Moorhead, with Yasushi Nirasawa in charge of the character designs.

The voice line-up so far has been confirmed to consist of...
  • Dough Bradley (Dr. Payne)
  • Mark & Lard (Decimator & Extricator)
  • Liza Goddard (Fina)
  • Patrick Bergin
  • Billy Boyd
  • Ian Ogilvy
Billy Boyd will be taking up the joint role of Shiro Lamont and his demon alter-ego, Dominator. Dani Filth is still involved with Renga Media and future projects.

Think I'll post the movie Dominators...

The Dominator of the 2003 movie. As you can see, the movie was low budget, so I really wouldn't recommend you take it so seriously. It's good fun nonetheless.

The highly-improved Dominator of 2005's Heavy Metal VS Dominator short. Very, very cool; downloading and watching recommended.

Here is a much better version of the original image I had her. This is the new Dominator as of 2006. Going back to the original 2003 design (and a bit further to the manga Dom of '93), Dominator now dons his traditional angular mask once again and holds a samurai sword at his waist and a staff on his back, a kilt pinned on his shoulder (the Demon Lord of Rockstars is Scottish this time round). Noticeably lacking in bulk and armour, this is a more slipstream design, and possibly the best in my opinion. And to bring these images full circle, I included this guitar variation, to also show how his axes have evolved.

Coming from a background of Punk, Metal and gothic eccentricities, Renga Media is sure to fuel Dominator X with a grinding soundtrack, with the original movie consisting of Cradle Of Filth, Killing Mode, Jezebel, SikTh, Matter, and many other bands that were on the Brighton Rock scene. If Dominator X has Iron Maiden or Judas Priest on it...

Last edited by VendavalEste; 12-08-2006 at 02:47 PM.
VendavalEste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

Got some screenshots from the new trailer...

Dominator in old Japan

Dominator and a new logo

Lady Violator above a city

Extricator

A winged girl on a crucifix

Dominator impales a demon on his sword...

And wrenches it free!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Bloody Mary
Scream Queen

Send a message via Yahoo to Bloody Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendavalEste View Post

That pic looks so freakin cool! Especially with the guitar. They actually have ESP guitars made customed for artists that art fantasy style. I already got two from my birthday last year and the other as a gift. One from the Mana (Mois dix Mois) and the Alfee series, with angel wings.

The girl attached to the crucifix reminds me of the anime Rahxephon. I forgot what the name was for the floating woman robot who attacks with sonic screams. Anyway, the screenshots were awesome and colorful. It makes me feel like Power Rangers being mixed into a blender with Willy Wonka candy.

Quote:
Coming from a background of Punk, Metal and gothic eccentricities, Renga Media is sure to fuel Dominator X with a grinding soundtrack, with the original movie consisting of Cradle Of Filth, Killing Mode, Jezebel, SikTh, Matter, and many other bands that were on the Brighton Rock scene. If Dominator X has Iron Maiden or Judas Priest on it...

That would be sweet! It would make me feel happy er high...?
Bloody Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

Damn, I can't edit old posts. Anyway, Dani Filth is still onboard, just not for this feature, Billy Boyd will be playing Shiro Lamont/Dominator.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Bloody Mary
Scream Queen

Send a message via Yahoo to Bloody Mary

Quote:
Damn, I can't edit old posts. Anyway, Dani Filth is still onboard, just not for this feature, Billy Boyd will be playing Shiro Lamont/Dominator.
Yeah, it sucks. I tried doing it to the last post on the Ugly Faces of Horror Express and I can't change do to some spelling errors. It seems like the system for this forum will only allow you to edit old posts but the after tomorrow you can't. I might ask John about it.

Is there any info on Billy Boyd? I've heard of him but wondered if he has ever done any voive overs for anime and stuff.
Bloody Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

Nope, looks like this is his first time on an animated feature.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

Bit of a bump on this topic, sorry if that sort of thing isn't allowed...

Anyway, a HUGE tip of the hat to the guys at Renga Media for sending me some very spiffy and BIG images of their new movie, I've already used two for wallpapers...

Old 12-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
JohnShaft
Administrator

Quote:
Bit of a bump on this topic, sorry if that sort of thing isn't allowed...
No worries VE. If you've put time into something and it's something that people are interested in, not to mention you're adding stuff to it, then it's cool.

BTW as I mentioned to Mary in another topic the Edit time is now open-ended, meaning you can edit old posts without any issues now.
JohnShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
VendavalEste
Speaking Part

MAJOR bump, hope this is allowed as I am giving some extra promotion to Dominator X as per request of Tony Luke.

The pilot Dominator X manga, illustrated by Masanori Shino and written by Alan Grant and Tony Luke is available in SFX's second issue of its new Total Anime edition, the magazine also includes an article featuring Tony Luke's complete production diaries that were featured in 3D World, as well as some notes on the elitism of fans that unfortunately plagues manga.

The Renga website has also been entirely revamped, featuring many good quality images of their new production as well as several new desktops.

Renga Media seem to have gone for a less Heavy Metal image in their new anti-hero, opting for a grim gothic theme combined with industrial and old scenery (the craggy land of Scotland in the future) but so far everything is looking good.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
zendiedy73
Extra

Send a message via ICQ to zendiedy73
Default Dominator X

Its a close fit, you cannot open the ram tabs all the way with video card installed they will bump the card. If you install the dominator fan you will need to make sure there is nothing touching the video card and it will fit fine.
zendiedy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Unconscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendiedy73 View Post
Its a close fit, you cannot open the ram tabs all the way with video card installed they will bump the card. If you install the dominator fan you will need to make sure there is nothing touching the video card and it will fit fine.
I'm not sure about what you think we're talking about here.

Unconscious is offline   Reply With Quote