Horror Express, The Best in Horror Movie Reviews & News Contact Us News Our Forum Horror Movie Reviews Contact Us Horror Express Home Register  

Go Back   Horror Express Forum > Talk Horror > Horror Fiction

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #271
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian Underground View Post
I read Decolonization since 1945. ...I promise, my reading choices will get more exciting after I graduate =P

I've also been picking away at Eldritch Tales, a companion book of Lovecraft tales for the Necronomicon. It isn't as good as the Necronomicon, but it has some interesting stuff in it. Also, I don't know much about poetry, but I know enough to know that Lovecraft wasn't terribly good at it haha
Haha, he certainly wasn't Poe when it came to poetry, although I've not read a lot of his poems. I'm guessing ET is the lesser work left over that wasn't quite good enough to be included in the first volume,

Been dipping into my big tome of Grimm's fairy tales. Not read an awful lot other than that lately unfortunately.

'Some say the thunder calls the lurking fear out of it's habitation, while others say the thunder is it's voice...'
H.P. Lovecraft
TheLurkingFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #272
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Italy View Post
I am currently reading Fortune by Erica Spindler who is one of my favourite authors

Has anybody read anything by her?
I still haven't read Erica Spindler Miss Italy. Not been reading much lately. How's it going with you anyway, doing okay?

'Some say the thunder calls the lurking fear out of it's habitation, while others say the thunder is it's voice...'
H.P. Lovecraft
Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #273
JohnShaft
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco Dellamorte View Post
Sounds really interesting, if it even vaguely resonates a H.P. Lovecraft vibe I will have to give it a go.
(Sorry for the late reply)
It's definitely worth a read mate. The only negative is the pagecount/money ratio, if you're a skinflint like me.

BTW been thinking about reading WORLD WAR Z before the film comes out, but probably only would if it's really strong.
Anyone have any good/bad opinions of it?
JohnShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #274
Francesco Dellamorte
Horror Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShaft View Post
BTW been thinking about reading WORLD WAR Z before the film comes out, but probably only would if it's really strong.
Anyone have any good/bad opinions of it?
Fantastic book, I highly recomend it.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #275
Miss Italy
Scream Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLurkingFear View Post
I still haven't read Erica Spindler Miss Italy. Not been reading much lately. How's it going with you anyway, doing okay?
Hi LF

Yes, doing ok thanx. How about you??

What was the last book you read?
Miss Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #276
Stygian Underground
Scream Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLurkingFear View Post
Haha, he certainly wasn't Poe when it came to poetry, although I've not read a lot of his poems. I'm guessing ET is the lesser work left over that wasn't quite good enough to be included in the first volume,

Been dipping into my big tome of Grimm's fairy tales. Not read an awful lot other than that lately unfortunately.
Pretty much, yeah ET is his lesser stuff. Some of it is pretty weird, and a lot of it has a different feel than his other works. Some he did with collaborators though, hence the differences. It's still interesting stuff, but I think it was meant to be a companion to the Necronomicon. It does touch on and elaborate on some things mentioned in the Necronomicon, for example there's a story about Azathoth which I haven't read yet, but none of these are quite up to par with some of the classics in Necronomicon.

Then that could also be because I've only had a chance to read it sporadically and so I haven't been able to focus on it too much. Still, a lot of the stories seem repetitive.

Stygian Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #277
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Quote:
Pretty much, yeah ET is his lesser stuff. Some of it is pretty weird, and a lot of it has a different feel than his other works. Some he did with collaborators though, hence the differences. It's still interesting stuff, but I think it was meant to be a companion to the Necronomicon. It does touch on and elaborate on some things mentioned in the Necronomicon, for example there's a story about Azathoth which I haven't read yet, but none of these are quite up to par with some of the classics in Necronomicon.

Then that could also be because I've only had a chance to read it sporadically and so I haven't been able to focus on it too much. Still, a lot of the stories seem repetitive.
Was it August Derleth who completed a lot of unfinished Lovecraft stories which were left after his death, I did have a collection of those many moons ago but can't remember them now. Will have to give Nec and Eldritch a go. I never tire of reading Lovecraft, I must say. The last one I read was the Music of Eric Zann, just fabulous.

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #278
Stygian Underground
Scream Queen

Yeah that was Derleth. He started to take Lovecraft's world into a direction HP hadn't intended though, as eventually it became a battle between good and evil rather than people realizing there was a vast, amoral universe out there. Nec has the Music of Eric Zann, if I recall correctly. Such a great collection!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #279
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Quote:
Yeah that was Derleth. He started to take Lovecraft's world into a direction HP hadn't intended though, as eventually it became a battle between good and evil rather than people realizing there was a vast, amoral universe out there. Nec has the Music of Eric Zann, if I recall correctly. Such a great collection!
That's right. I don't have the volume of Derleth's stuff anymore alas.

Started reading Wolverine and Electra: the Redeemer, which is a Marvel graphic novel. It has beautiful illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano and is fabulous. Might start considering a new book to read soon.

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #280
Miss Italy
Scream Queen

I have just started a book called Don't Scream by Wendy Corsi Staub.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #281
petitepuppet
Speaking Part

I purchased Ghost Story by Peter Straub after it was recommended on here. I am nearly finished and omg I cant wait to find out how it plays out
petitepuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #282
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by petitepuppet View Post
I purchased Ghost Story by Peter Straub after it was recommended on here. I am nearly finished and omg I cant wait to find out how it plays out
Awesome book...you'll love it I'm sure. Shadowland, koko and floating dragon well worth a read too, all good straub books. Such a great writer!

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #283
Stygian Underground
Scream Queen

I'm reading another history book. Revolution and..something or the other. Be nice when my book choices are my own :D

Also still plowing through Eldritch Tales. Short story books seem to take me forever, for whatever reason haha

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #284
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Quote:
I'm reading another history book. Revolution and..something or the other. Be nice when my book choices are my own :D

Also still plowing through Eldritch Tales. Short story books seem to take me forever, for whatever reason haha
Haha, I'm same. Think I know the reason too: it's because you have to stop and start again, which breaks up the momentum you can build while reading a novel. At least that's what I think slows me down lol.

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #285
Miss Italy
Scream Queen

Quote:

Hey Styg

What is Eldritch Tales??