Horror Express, The Best in Horror Movie Reviews & News Contact Us News Our Forum Horror Movie Reviews Contact Us Horror Express Home Register  

Go Back   Horror Express Forum > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic Chat

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1111
Stygian Underground
Scream Queen

I just got back from watching The Hunger Games. I liked it! I'll have to give the books a look as well. Don't normally read YA, but if these turn out to be any good maybe I should start =P

Stygian Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #1112
Unconscious

Send a message via MSN to Unconscious Send a message via Skype™ to Unconscious

I watched the Hunger Games last night. I had just finished reading the book series; there were quite a few changes, but I felt it kept true to the general spirit of the book. Should have had a higher rating than a 12A, mind you. I expected a little bit more suffering/bloodshed. They really made the games itself to not be that much of a challenge, which is a shame.

Unconscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #1113
Miss Italy
Scream Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian Underground View Post
I just got back from watching The Hunger Games. I liked it! I'll have to give the books a look as well. Don't normally read YA, but if these turn out to be any good maybe I should start =P
All Ive heard is good reviews about that film so may have to check it out I think I'll start with the film also before I read the books
Miss Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #1114
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Just finished watching Suckerpunch. Fab.

Great music too.

'Some say the thunder calls the lurking fear out of it's habitation, while others say the thunder is it's voice...'
H.P. Lovecraft
TheLurkingFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #1115
JohnShaft
Administrator

God, it's dead in here the last week!
---------------

Really interested in the Hunger Games, so I'm glad I'm only hearing good things about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconscious View Post
They really made the games itself to not be that much of a challenge, which is a shame.
That really is a shame. How would you guys compare it to BATTLE ROYALE? In what way is it different?

Myself watched:
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. Still a strong film.

IRON MAN 2. Hadn't seen this one. Disappointing for me, I thought the first hour (particularly the first half hour) was turgid.
And there's just something I find inherently unsatisfying about a bloke in a suit fighting another suit. Especially as that was what happened in the first one.

Also I realised that Stark to me is just a smug dick, and I don't find him appealing as a character (as pitched by Robert Downey). I think they salvaged him in the last half hour somewhat though.

Wouldn't recommend.
JohnShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #1116
Stygian Underground
Scream Queen

He's supposed to be a smug dick. I think he was intended to be a John Galt like Marvel character, which is funny coming from Stan Lee.

Stygian Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #1117
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

I like the Iron Man movies. I take them for what they are really, and all these recent superhero/marvel films just blur into one for me, including the Transformers movies. Good fun! (Amazing SFX too).

'Some say the thunder calls the lurking fear out of it's habitation, while others say the thunder is it's voice...'
H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #1118
JohnShaft
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygian Underground View Post
He's supposed to be a smug dick. I think he was intended to be a John Galt like Marvel character, which is funny coming from Stan Lee.
I get that Styg, but there's a smug dick you can root for (which I think he was in the first film) and one you can't (which he was IMO in most of the 2nd). I get that was part of the character arc here, but even so... I just found myself liking him less and less as the film went through (the first 30 minutes was 100% ego strokefest, with zero drama or conflict).

Foe me Superhero films have taken a real nosedive the last few years. The only exception being X-Men: First Class.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #1119
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Does anyone here remember the Shooting Gallery programme on channel 4 few years back. I remember seeing a short film called Preserve, I think. It's one of those things you see late at night when you're half dead and wonder in the morning if you actually dreamed it. I've searched youtube and everything but alas, nothing.

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #1120
Francesco Dellamorte
Horror Icon

American History X

Such a powerful film that never loses it's impact no matter how many times I watch it.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #1121
JohnShaft
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco Dellamorte View Post
American History X
Such a powerful film that never loses it's impact no matter how many times I watch it.
Absolutely love that film, so much. Defintely one of my top 5 favourite films. Love the performances from the Edwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLurkingFear View Post
Does anyone here remember the Shooting Gallery programme on channel 4 few years back. I remember seeing a short film called Preserve, I think.
I think I remember the programme in general (tended not to catch m/any though). What was the particular short about?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #1122
Francesco Dellamorte
Horror Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnShaft View Post
Absolutely love that film, so much. Defintely one of my top 5 favourite films. Love the performances from the Edwards.
Norton's performance should have won him an Oscar. But its Ethan Suplee that really surprised me, he normally plays "the loveable dumb sidekick" (My Name Is Earl, Cold Mountain) But he is really great as the fascist skinhead mate. Such an intelligent, moving film.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #1123
TheLurkingFear
Horror Icon

Ethan Suplee, was wondering what that actors name was when I saw him in something on tv the other night.

The short film was about a guy, a mortician or morgue attendant (?), who falls in love with a woman he sees on his way to work. Throughout the film it becomes clear that his infatuation isn't reciprocated. He dies at the end and finds himself on one of his own slabs in the morgue. The attendants working on him discover the woman's image indellibly preserved on the retina of his eye. Hence the title, Preserve.

My memories of it are very vague, and this is probably a less than coherent recollection. It was french too I think. It's something that always stuck in my mind.

H.P. Lovecraft
Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #1124
JohnShaft
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco Dellamorte View Post
Norton's performance should have won him an Oscar.
Absolutely agree. My favourite actor of our generation. He's fucking terrifying in Neo Nazi-mode too. That curb stomp is legendary.

Quote:
But its Ethan Suplee that really surprised me, he normally plays "the loveable dumb sidekick" (My Name Is Earl, Cold Mountain) But he is really great as the fascist skinhead mate. Such an intelligent, moving film.
Yeah, I hadn't seen him before AHX, but when I saw him in Earl I could barely believe it was the same man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLurkingFear View Post
The short film was about a guy, a mortician or morgue attendant (?), who falls in love with a woman he sees on his way to work.
Sounds pretty interesting. Think it would have been a cooler ending though if this woman, who wouldn't look twice at him, was the mortician who ended up with him on her slab.

My Google-Fu is turning up nothing, but I'll keep trying.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #1125
JohnShaft
Administrator

The short seems to go back to 1999
Quote:
Harwood did a BA in Theatre Design at Central St. Martin's, and an MA in film set design at the Royal College of Art. Before enrolling at the National Film and Television School, she directed an award-winning commercial, designed several shorts and worked professionally as an art director on a number of feature films. Preserve, her first drama as director, was broadcast by Channel 4 and French TV2 and was screened at international festivals including Odense, San Paolo and Cannes.
link: http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/17...CMP=ILC-SEARCH
Her IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1631750/